The first thing to know about foam rolling is that there are a lot of nonsensical and made up claims for it with a lot of pseudoscience. The warning is be careful what you read about the use of foam rolling by the gurus and pseudo experts. The claims that get made for the use of foam rolling are not backed up by the scientific research on it. Having said that, it is useful. Athletes use it as part of a warm-up and recovery routines. It can help for some specific conditions such as self-massage for plantar fasciitis.
It does not loosen fascia, that is impossible. Its does not release toxins – that is a claim often made by the scientifically illiterate…. and so on. Do not believe the hype.
Given the muscle pain and trigger points in fibromyalgia, can it actually help beyond the hype and personal anecdotes that surrounds its use? While the research does show some benefits in athletes and muscle aches, there is an extraordinary lack of research on its use in fibromyalgia. There is this study (in Italian) that showed that in people with fibromyalgia that the group that used the foam roller did better than the control group on measures of depression, pain, anxiety and sleep quality. So that is a good finding and does support the use of foam rolling in fibromyalgia.
By all means, please try the foam roller. It does appear that it can help. Just do not fall for the hype, marketing and pseudoscience that gets claimed for it.
All you need to do is buy a foam roller (online or at the local sports shop) and find a program (online, in books, or get a personal trainer).
- High-density foam roller with molded edges
- Ideal for balance, strengthening, flexibility, and rehab exercises
- Made in the USA from molded polypropylene to maintain firmness
- Lightweight, easy to clean and transport
- Measures approximately 36 x 6 x 6 inches (L x W x H)
- 12. 75 inches x 5. 25 inch diameter , lightweight yet rugged solid core massage roller with EVA tread and triple grid 3D massage zones mimics the finger , palm , and thumb of a therapist's hands .
- Medium density muscle roller is comfortable to use - making it easy for beginners , but still effective at penetrating the soft tissue layer of tired muscles . Soft enough to use while in pain from lower back injury , sciatica or plantar fasciitis .
- One of the best recovery tools to treat muscle pain , increase performance and flexibility. Rolling before and after exercise sis part of a great stretching routine . Increases blood flow to massage site , flushing away stored lactic acid .
- Stretch overworked and strained muscles of the leg , arms , and feet by rolling during your warm up and cool downs . Provides instant benefit to the hamstring , IT band , glutes , and calves by delivering superior massages at home or in the gym .
- Loved by runners , exercise athletes , yoga and pilates students , swimmers , physical or sports therapy patients , and aid those just doing a normal fitness workout . Great for the arch of the foot , and any part of the superior body but the spine or neck .
- 3D textured rollers measure 12.5 x 5.5 inches with triple massage zones to replicate the fingers , thumbs , and palms of the human hand .
- Roll before and after your work out at the gym , Pilates , or yoga to condition and stretch muscle tissue , and remove painful trigger points . Dual grid design has finger zone with ridges , and spiked bumps on the opposite side .
- Great for runners , after a long workout , or as part of your stretching routine . Heavy Duty EPP construction tough enough for athletes , and still comfortable enough for a beginner .
- Choose from lightweight and portable 13" model or get full body coverage with our 17" model to get physical therapy grade massages , deep stretches , and acupressure relief all in the privacy of your own home .
- Speed up recovery , treat muscle pain , increase performance , flexibility , and mobility . One of the best fitness tools to help your body recover , rolling before and after exercise is critical for beginners and pros alike .
- Ryan, Mike D. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 432 Pages - 01/07/2021 (Publication Date) - For Dummies (Publisher)
- Foam Rollers For Muscles – LuxFit High Density Foam Roller is great for Physical Therapy, before or after Exercise, Yoga, and Massage Therapy. Foam Muscle Rollers helps to relieve Muscles Tension and increase Muscle Reflexology. Form Roller. Body Roller
- Foam Exercise Roller Helps Prevent Muscle Injury - Perfect for positioning, balance, postural and muscle re-education, spinal stabilization, body awareness and coordination, ranging and strengthening activities. Yoga - Fitness Foam Roller. Foam Roller for IT Band
- Extra Firm Gym Foam Roller - Molded polypropylene foam technology has a 2 lbs. per cubic foot density, Smooth surface, Will not lose its shape after heavy use, and Repels Liquids. Trigger Point Foam Roller. Stretching Foam Roler
- 4 Sizes Available For All Your Needs – 36 Inch, 24 Inch, 18 Inch, 12 Inch. 36 Inch foam roller is our largest size. Black Foam Rollers are great for Back Pain and Back Exercises. Great for core stabilization, balance, and stamina. 6 Inch wide Round Foam Roller. Foam roller for physical therapy & exercise
- Full 10 Year Limited Warranty - MADE IN THE USA! - with Free Online Instructional VIDEO - Using your own body weight let the faom roller do a MyoFascial release to provide Maximum Relaxation Relief. Deep Tissue Foam Roller Massage. Foam Roller for Back. Leg Roller. Exercise Roller
- The perfect gift for yourself , or a loved one that's into exercise and working out , this kit has it all -> Our classic triple zone massage roller with end caps for storage , great for deep tissue massage and stretching legs and lower back .
- There's our premium massage stick for those hard-to-roll areas , like the quad , shin , and inner thigh . Control the intensity of the massage by pressing harder or softer with the handles . Flush lactic acid from muscle tissue after your workout .
- After the deep tissue massager , the most important thing for your body is stretches . Our stretch strap is amazing for your hamstring and quads . Just wrap one end around your foot , and control the intensity by grabbing different handles .
- Finally, 2 types of massage balls , both great tools for trigger point and myofascial release . Our double lacrosse ball is best for rolling the forearm , neck , and shoulders - our spike ball is great for the arches of your feet for plantar fasciitis .
- All of this is backed by our lifetime manufacturer's warranty and 100% Satisfaction Guarantee , To purchase these items separately would cost over $75, making this a great value or a great gift (if you know anyone that likes massages...) ; )
- Solid-core, EVA foam roller is more durable than standard polypropylene rollers that can break down and become soft
- Unique multi-density GRID pattern provides targeted compression ideal for self-massage, relieving pain and improving flexibility
- The Versatile 12-inch length is perfect for most muscle groups
- 12-inch Trigger Point CORE foam roller; moderate compression
- Includes access to free online instructional video library on foam rolling exercises from the experts at Trigger Point; approximately 12 x 4 inches; 325 pound weight limit; 1 year manufacturer's warranty
- FOAM ROLLERS FOR MUSCLES - High Density Foam Roller is great for Physical Therapy, before or after Exercise, Yoga, and Massage Therapy. Foam Muscle Roller helps to relieve Muscle Tension and increase Muscle Reflexology.
- EXTRA FIRM FOAM ROLLER - Molded polypropylene foam technology has a 2 lbs. per cubic foot density, Smooth surface, Will not lose its shape after heavy use, and Repels Liquids.
- 3 SIZES AVAILABLE FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS - 6x36, 6x18, 6x12. 36 Inch foam roller is our largest size. Black Foam Rollers are great for Back Pain and Back Exercises. Great for core stabilization, balance, and stamina.
- FOAM EXERCISE ROLLER HELPS PREVENT MUSCLE INJURY - Perfect for positioning, balance, postural and muscle re-education, spinal stabilization, body awareness and coordination, and ranging and strengthening activities
- FULL 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY - MADE IN THE USA! - Using your own body weight let the roller do a MyoFascial release to provide Maximum Relaxation Relief. Firm roller for Deep Tissue Massage.
- Patented foam roller design offers a superior, multi-density exterior constructed over a rigid, hollow core
- Constructed from quality materials that won't break down or lose shape from repeated use
- Includes access to free online instructional video library on foam rolling best practices from the experts at Trigger Point
- Trusted foam roller of physical and massage therapists, coaches, trainers and athletes
- Original GRID: Standard density, 13 x 5.5 inches, 500 pound weight limit
- Alpha Books
- Woodworth, Sam (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 192 Pages - 11/08/2016 (Publication Date) - DK (Publisher)
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.